Friday, October 24, 2008

To do list

It's Friday again and I haven't had the chance/motivation to write. So I write out my to do list today:



1. Laundry

2. Pick up living room

3. Clean kitchen

4. Clean bathroom

5. Vacuum entire house

6. Bake hubby chocolate mousse cake

7. Water plants, indoors and out



So far that's it, not very exciting but all stuff that needs to be done. The most dreaded the chocolate mousse cake. For some unknown crazy reason I asked the hubby want he and the son wanted to eat, I was looking at the Tastspotting and was inspired to cook them something yummy and I wanted to show him my appreciation of all the work he's been doing at my mom's house. I was thinking more in terms of food but the hubby requested chocolate mousse cake. Huh? What I asked him over, chocolate mousse cake...not some big hunk of meat (son asked for a juicy steak)? Nope he wanted chocolate mousse cake, he has bit of a sweet tooth and I guess the last time he had it was when his mom baked it for him. Hmmm well I love to bake/cook but this is a new one never made mousse cake before. I looked up recipes seemed pretty simple enough although not so sure about the raw egg whites. It's been like over a week since I asked and I guess I really should make it for him, but the raw eggs kinda turned me off...heck I even went and bought whipping cream for it, I had all the other ingredients.

So I guess I will start and bake the cake and then make the mousse, it needs time to set in the fridge anyways. But first I need to eat my rice and kimchee/kongjaejong chigae. Yep my house is a bit stinky but I can't wait to gobble down that goodness! The kongjaejong was made by my mother last weekend (my mom rocks, she knows how to make so many Korean dishes) she made it from scratch, cooking the soy beans, fermenting it, pounding and seasoning it by hand. I also have a huge jar of kimchee and even kakdogee( dakon radish kimchee) in my fridge made from the week before. So had a mad craving for kimchee and the stinky bean paste with lots and lots of tofu (dueboo). It's almost about ready and stinking up my entire house but who cares. My daughter loves Korean food unlike my son.

She loves to eat rice, ducc, kimchee, anything Korean. Even though its spicy she will power it down and then drink lots of juice/water, say spicy spicy and then just eat the rice. It's so cute cause she knew what I was making. She says, "what are you making oma?" I say nothing, she says "I know you are making kimchee!" She's been calling me oma more lately than mommy, probably cause we have been at my mom's every week. Plus side she has picked up on more Korean and understands and speaks to the old ladies. Too cute!

Back to food, kimchee chigae has to be the most comforting, homey food to a Korean person...like mac and cheese and stew. Man I love it, the comforting feeling, the spiciness but also the feeling of "sheanaw" feeling you get from sipping the hot bubbly soup! It warms you up and tastes so good, the salty, to tangy, to spicy..although the flavors mingling. Ok gotta go eat now, but I will start on the cake after I eat.

1 comment:

KP said...

My stomach is growling and grumbling, thinking about all of that yummy food! i cant wait to see how your chocolate mousse cake turns out!!