Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sunday

Well it's Sunday and I don't have much to write about, no inspiration, no ranting, anger, sadness, etc. The baby girl is sleeping and the hubby left for home around 8pm after another weekend of work. Update on baking chocolate mousse cake was a success, although not as pretty as I wanted it to be but everyone loved it. I decided to cut the cake into heart shapes with the cookie cutter, it was a good idea although they use forms for a reason. The mousse on my small heart cakes were oozing out the side and the cake was slipping of the top. So I thought I''d stick a toothpick on the top to hold it in place, well good ideas aren't always so good in practice. Lets just say the cake were in lays, like steps. But the mousse was good, so soft, creamy, fluffy and chocolaty.

Speaking of food I did prefect my hoddeuk recipe. I used the one from My Korean Kitchen but I tweaked it for my mother who thought using glutinous rice powder would make it taste better. I originally started off just using flour however while researching it online I found another from Kitchenwench and tried doing the rice powder. It was unanimous the hubby, kids, and my cousins preferred the flour one better. The rice powder one was too sticky and did not have the fluffy airiness of the flour batch nor the flavor, it was bland. So the next time I used my original recipe and used half flour and half rice powder. It turned out better but still seemed to sticky and no airy enough for me. Well last weekend when I was at mom's I set out another try at it but this time I used only half a cup rice powder to two cups flour and it turned out so good. It had the fluffiness, airiness and also a bit of the sticky factor, just a bit though. It was perfect!

This morning I fixed up the dough (doubled) so it would be ready by the time my mom got home from work. She loves the starchy stuff, breads, deuk..etc. It's the prefect sweet snack on a cool day, I guess that's when they street ajunmas sell them in the fall/winter. I never had one till I made my own so I really have no real reference to compare it to however all those who have tried them say it's just as good if not better. My Aunt even requested I make some for her bible study group tomorrow for 7 ajunmas including the pastors wife. So I guess that's a good sign, I notice once I keep making something it just gets easier and easier to turn out.

I remember the first time I started baking again I was so careful to measure the ingredients but now it's so easy. It's true one you bake enough you get to know the feel and sight of a dough, batter..etc. It just gets easier, your hands do get hand memory and know what something needs to feel like. I can roll out a perfect pizza dough now, you would think it was bought.

Wow I guess writing about nothing led me to write about food. Ok now I just have to get into the habit of taking pictures, the camera is there like 6 feet away but I don't do it. Not a habit yet, guess gotta make it one.

3 comments:

KP said...

I would LOVE to see pictures of your creations! I dont think I know what hoddeuk is, but I know what ddeuk is...PICTURES PLEASE!!

Chocolate mousse in any form sounds great! I just started, but about three days before, I was on a sugar frenzy. There goes the 20 pound plan! Oh well, theres always tomorrow:)

KP said...

Oh, by started, I meant "started".

And also, I love your new layout:)

Hope you have a great monday:)

imworkingfromtheinsideout said...

Yeah I'll be lucky if I don't gain 20 more pounds!

I will start taking pictures, I will take pictures, I will take pictures ( need to remind myself);)