Friday, March 4, 2011

Mothering, failure at its worst.

No matter how I try I fail at being a good mother. At this moment I feel like I have not accomplished anything in my life. Even though I finished school it's not like I did my best, far from it. It seems like my entire life I have not succeed in doing anything worth while and worst of all I'am a failure at being a parent, a mother. I don't want to blame how I was parented or mothered because after all I'm an adult and it falls back to me. I feel guilty and horrible because I wish I never became a mother. I fear I'm damaging my kids and how I raise them will impact them for the rest of their lives and their children's lives. It seems at this point no matter what I try to do I fail miserably.

I still have not even applied for work, I look at the listings daily and see many possibilities yet my self doubt keeps from me even sending out my resume. There is no weight lose, I actually weigh more than when this school year started, it seems no matter what I do it is not enough. I'm spread out so thin and there is nothing left of me to give, I feel transparent and empty, I have felt this way for a long time. I'm tired, exhausted as I try to will up enough strength and gusto every day trying to be positive, to be a good mother. It's the same battles the same things that do not seem to change no matter how hard I work on them. And worst of all I feel unappreciated and what I do has no bearing on my families life. I guess the point of it was when my son keeps telling me that's too bad it's your life, you chose your life, you had kids and so you suffer. I guess that is what gets me the most is how heartless and cold he is, I always thought he was a compassionate child but as he has gotten older he seems to have no patience for others faults and only seem them as weakness. It scares me in that he has become a selfish person who only cares about his own needs and no one elses. I try to reassure myself it's the teenager in him but I also see alot of his biological donor in him.
Yes I hate my life but more so I hate myself for following what others tell me to do instead of following what I really wanted to do in my life. I hate that I'm a people pleaser, that I have no identity in who I'm, that I have no self love or even respect to listen to what my soul needs. I'm ashamed that I have no self confidence at 38, that I'm more at loss today than when I was as a teenager. This is the ugly pathetic truth that I'm no better today than I was 20 years ago.

2 comments:

KP said...

You are too hard on yourself, my friend. I wish I could make it better for you.

LivinLarge said...

It's starting to sound like you have some anxiety or depression, and if this is the case, you'll find it difficult at best to keep moving forward. Talk to your doctor about some mild meds to help you relax and then talk with a therapist to work through these bad feelings and thoughts you have. I've been there, many of us have, and it's no way to live.