Thursday, May 1, 2008

Who Am' I?....Daughter of Eldest Son

You would think after taking 10 years to finish my B.A. in sociology as a single mom (double psychology/soc. major but dropped the PSY...too much work) I would know what I wanted to do. Yet here I find myself "searching" for what I want to do/be once my baby girl starts school. I've been trying to convince myself that these last three and half years haven't been a waste but good for the kids. That being a mother is more important than anything else that I could possibly "be or do" and that my degree wasn't in vain because I would pursue a "career" after the kids were in school and didn't need me as much.


Yet lets be real here, life sucks...I know I shouldn't say that but it has, being a self sacrificing stay at home mom/homemaker sucks! Maybe the fact my father passed away last April from lung cancer hasn't helped and being the sole comfort for my martyr Mother doesn't make things easier. Even though I'm the youngest of three children and also the daughter has not diminished my responsibilities to my mother and extended family.

Growing up in a traditional Korean family that immigrated to California in 1978 had enough of its complications but being the youngest daughter with two older brothers did no grant me the right as princess nor to be bestowed gifts =spoiled. Instead I felt like I was the personal maid and servant of the family, not to talk back, to listen, to learn how to cook, clean, and take care of the men and the family. To be the work horse/cow that my mother had became in serving my father and his extended family. I did not realize the rigidity and profound sexism that is my family until last year when my father, the eldest son passed away.



The shock that came with my father's death was how fast he passed away, he was diagnosed lung cancer and he died in less than a month. He became that statistic, the one that dies shortly after the discovery of cancer because its always too late by the time they discovers it, unfortunately lung cancer is hard to diagnose in the earlier stages because there are no real signs or symptoms. So my beloved father became that number, making the statistic solid, but he wasn't an number. He was husband, father, grandfather, brother, uncle, and the Eldest Son.

**Insight -I started this blog thinking it was about myself but it has focused on the source of my pain and grief, the passing of my father.

I guess being the Eldest son in Korean custom holds much importance as well as responsibility in providing not only for ones own family but his extended family. My father lived his life to the full extent taking care his extended family members to the point of sacrificing the welfare of his own wife and children in process. He was a honorable man but ignorant in that he did not provide his wife and partner of 40 years with the support and love she deserved. maybe its the Korean way, maybe it's just my family I do not know but I know for most of my life I resented him for the husband he wasn't to my mother but loved him for the father he was. Even as of today I love him and miss him and yet feel anger towards him for the way he treated my mother. Especially as she says it leaving him with the burden to care for his older sister and her her husband.
Sounds strange and unheard of but its true, my mother is taking of care of my father's sister and husband while working a 40hr job as a housekeeper. Sound depressing yes...especially since my aunt is from the old school of scolding mother in laws that boss around and criticize their daughter in laws, however considering the fact my mother isn't her daughter in law makes it more so ridiculous however my mother in guilty of carrying on this morbid tradition of women suppressing each other.

**That in itself is whole other topic! Wow who knew I had so much to let out, vent, express, maybe this blog will be longer than I thought. Gotta go now and start dinner and organize my thoughts so I can write it all done later in a more comprehensible way?

2 comments:

Mountaintreks said...

당신의 아버지의 슬픈 서거에 문상,
A few years back I, too lost my mother she just went through our hands she had a massive heart attack and that was the end.

The only way that you can start getting yourself back to the happy and cheerful self that you used to be before is by taking walks and those need to be long and start slowly an then take the pace higher, instead of updating this blog or checking the mail on the home computer use the community computer in the library....it's going to be tough but please do it and you will feel much better and carry a camera with you and take snaps on the way and upload those on your blog once in a while. With the walking the generation of the right chemicals will happen in the brain and the medications will also slowly be reduced :)

Stay away from all alcohol and caffeinated drinks instead take lemonade and green tea without milk.
Start a bit of Meditation every morning or evening or even before going to bed just shut all Music and telephone and TV etc and just close your eyes for a while and just let thought come and don't react after sometime things will reach a stage where you will be able to increase the meditation time and then the thoughts will also start getting lesser and lesser and soon you will have none it will total calmness.

Loss of a loved one is something which is never possible to fill and there are no words that are sufficient to express the sorrow. Please take care and Godspeed on your journey ahead!

Will keep Visiting Your Blog!

imworkingfromtheinsideout said...

Mountaintreks thank you for kind words and suggestions. I will take them to heart and start this journey to healing. Thank you for sharing your own experience, its always nice to connect with others who have gone through the same kind of things.